Kindergarten Paraeducator and Extended Care Support
Title: Kindergarten Paraeducator and Extended Care Support
Hours: Non-exempt. Monday – Friday 11:30 am to 6:00 pm (30-minute lunch break) on days Trinity School is in session, starting August 27, 2018, and through June 14, 2019. Potential for rehire for the 2019-20 academic year.
Reports to: Lead Teacher, Academic Dean
Overview: Trinity School is a premier elementary day school serving preschool to Grade 5 in Menlo Park, CA. A purposefully small school, Trinity has partnered with parents for over fifty years to grow children, one at a time, into motivated and capable problem solvers with big hearts. Trinity School continues this tradition by envisioning the role of paraeducator to further personalize education within the school setting by directly supporting the program orchestrated by the lead teacher. Trinity School applies evolving technologies that best support students thriving in a robust learning environment. To this end, the Paraeducator will play a vital and exciting role.
Job Summary: The Kindergarten Paraeducator supports the classroom teacher by performing tasks in the areas of classroom preparations, instruction of small groups, supervision of students, and general support of the classroom program and environment. He/she provides outdoor student supervision as assigned. If qualified, she/he substitutes for the Lead Teacher. In addition to working in the Kindergarten classroom for the afternoon, this position will also facilitate Extended Care until 6:00 pm.
- Plans and teaches part of the curriculum if the Lead Teacher determines this to be appropriate
- Supports the maintenance of a safe, well ordered, and attractive classroom conducive to a productive learning environment
- Performs duties and tasks requested by the Lead Teacher
- Attends weekly planning meetings with Lead Teacher
- Supervises children as requested
- Keeps all students under supervision within sight and audible distance
- Conducts students on campus from building to building; remains with and supervises students at all times on field trips; and supervises students in safety and emergency drills
- Ensures that children engage in safe play, appropriate eating habits and clean up
- Facilitates interpersonal problem-solving with students as issues arise
- Employs consistent, fair and appropriate consequences for students
- Informs teachers or Academic Dean as necessary of playground incidences
Extended Care Responsibilities:
- Checks the library calendar for location changes (daily)
- Provides, safe, age-appropriate activities and supervision for students
- Provides a nutritional snack for students in program
- Maintains a sign in/out log for students attending Extended Care
- Maintains the billing record book (weekly).
- Works in full cooperation with other faculty and staff to ensure the appropriate use and care of space and property
- Locks and checks all classroom and storage doors at or before 6:00 PM daily
- Closes windows in Faculty/Staff Room
This job description describes a general category of jobs. The employee may be assigned other duties, in addition to or instead of those described here, and any duties are subject to change at any time according to the needs of the School.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills: accurate and attentive to detail
- Effective time/project manager
- Able to manage several projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of computer applications related to job functions
- Mature, energetic, intelligent with professional demeanor
- Good judgment and creative problem-solving
- Commitment to development of relevant professional knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Cheerful, flexible self-starter
- Outgoing, and optimistic with well-developed interpersonal skills
- Thrives in fast-paced environment
- Team player who can determine when to lead and when to follow
- Ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining the rights and human dignity of all parties
Credentials and Expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Early Childhood Development, Psychology, or a related field is required for K-1 and strongly advised for Grades 2-5
- First Aid and CPR certification
- A copy of the academic diploma of highest achievement, as well as copies of current credentials/units, are required for the personnel file for those hired after 6/30/07.
Based on this job description and annual goals progress and reporting
Hours and Rate:
Hours would be from 11:30 am to 6:00 pm (30-minute lunch break) on days Trinity School is in session, starting August 27, 2018, and through June 14, 2019. Potential for rehire for the 2019-20 academic year.
Hourly Rate: $23 per hour for estimated 30 hours/week
Reports to Lead Teacher, Academic Dean
PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: COLETTE MCWILLIAMS, ACADEMIC DEAN CMCWILLIAMS@TRINITY-MP.ORG